February break may be among the most disorienting of weeks during our time at Middlebury. On one hand, we get a little time off from J-term shenanigans… rest those livers y’all. We’re reminded that pain isn’t the only sensation associated with the outdoors, and that sun in fact does exist outside the bubble. But it’s also super weird. We’ve only been at school for a month when we’re forced to transition once again. And after a teaser one week vacation, we have to come back to school and face the semester ahead– in a snow storm nonetheless.
If you’re thinking about the stress of the add/drop period, dreading the single-digit weather, or already missing your dog, here are some reminders that there’s actually a lot of awesome things to look forward to in the next couple of weeks.
1. WINTER CARNIVAL!!! Remember this? It’s the first weekend we’re back. Nothing says smooth transition like already having a Friday off. Rejoice in the four day week and get ready to watch some awesome ski races with a side of free maple cotton candy. (No promises on the cotton candy, only wishful thoughts). BTW, Middlebury is the first college in the country to have a winter carnival. This is a really big deal, especially considering the rave Dartmouth makes of their snow-time celebration. SO, we really should make a deal of this.
2. Meeting new febs! While many of us have been away getting some space from our home-away-from-home, new Freshmen febs have flooded campus this past week. Introduce yourselves!
3. New classes. A new shot to discover an academic passion, to establish a meaningful connection with a professor, or make some new ‘class friends.’ A breath of fresh air for your gpa! Maybe some new pencils and notebooks too– type A homies like me know what’s up!!
4. Valentine’s Day. Is this something to look forward to? The jury is still out. Celebrate this day with your significant other, eat tons of chocolate, grumble about American consumerism, or ignore it altogether! Maybe just maybe this is the day you finally approach your Proctor crush…
4. Daylight savings. Sure, we lose an hour and that kinda sucks for a day. Buuuut on March 8th we’ll be saying goodbye to those 4:15pm sunsets. Let there be light!
5. CHILI FEST!!! The Vermont Chili Festival will be held this year on March 14th from 1-4pm. Watch as the great chili makers of Vermont convene on main street right here in Middlebury to prove that their batch reigns supreme. It’s for a great cause, and the limitless supply of chili is pretty #chill too.
6. St. Patrick’s Day! March 17th this year. I’ve just been informed that it’s actually March 17th every year. Maybe green’s your color, you like darties, or you’re Irish! Whatever… it’s a holiday!
7. The Oscars! February 22nd. I didn’t see any of the movies but I’m still excited.
8. Warmer weather. A girl can dream can’t she? I’m pretty sure the groundhog (the one Bill Deblasio didn’t drop) predicted an early spring and I’m also pretty sure that means nothing. But real talk it has to get a little warmer over the course of the next two months, right?!
9. Use of the new field house. Tired of not being able to breathe when you run outside? Have you fallen one too many times running through town? Maybe it’s time to start training for the Middlebury Maple Run! Good news is that the new field house seems like it’s up and ready for us to use. Fingers crossed. More info on this soon.
10. Spring break! If you can’t think of anything else to get you through these next few weeks, know that spring break is really just six weeks away.